Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Terminator-like Nipples

I'm sure you are thinking, "Say WHAT?!"

Let me explain.

A few months ago, I found a baby's washcloth wrapped in the garbage disposal.  

Mangled.  

A disaster. 

Luckily, it didn't destroy the garbage disposal.  Guess I should have been sure, like a surgeon in an operating room, I didn't leave the work area without all of my tools.  

Yes, sometimes giving the baby a bath in the sink was 

Just. 
That. 
Serious.

That said, last night I was trying to reload our dishwasher (cause I never have a sink full of dishes. Ahem.) and noticed our garbage disposal making some "interesting" noises. 

By interesting, I mean I was thinking to myself, "Crap. We're probably going to need a new one of these."  I knew it had been sounding a bit "off", but hadn't thought much of it.

I wondered if there could be something stuck inside, but I wasn't about to stick my hand in there.  

Seriously, those things are piranha-like.  
They can eat your hand.  
Like, barely poke a finger in and, the next thing you know, you are missing your entire forearm.  
They're that kind of scary.

Mmm-hmm. See? Scary stuff.


So, I opened it with a knife.  

Way safer.  I know.  No need to congratulate me on my brilliance.

Know what I found?

The nipple to an Avent bottle. 

For those sans children, that is the silicone (I think?) piece a baby drinks from on an Avent bottle.  

And it was intact.  

Like, I ran water through it and expected to see it shoot out from all angles.  

But, no.  

Nothing.

The garbage disposal crushes ice.  
It shredded the washcloth.  
It destroys all food shoved down inside so it can be rinsed down the pipes.

But not a nipple? Are you kidding me?

No wonder those damn bottles are so expensive.

I proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes online trying to figure out what they were really made of because I was so amazed.  I never figured it out. Hence the question mark above.

Moral of this post?

If you are having or have a baby, spring for at least one of these bad boys for the bambino to try.  I never tried them with Tink, but loved them with Goose, and wished I'd switched to them earlier.  

And, they are indestructible.  Like the Terminator.


4 comments:

  1. You DO have the most interesting blog titles! Since I'm fully aware that spoons have no chance in a garbage disposal, I'm amazed that the nipple wasn't shredded beyond recognition. Who knew? BTW, I like the new background, font, etc. Very tasteful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title of this blog scared me. Seriously. Since you have no filter, I was afraid of what I might read! Needless to say, I was greatly relieved.

    Oh, BTW, I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm sure my regular nipples would have been tattered in the disposal. And, I don't know I would have been up for blogging about it had they gotten tangled in there. Maybe. Who knows? I mean, I DO like to over-share....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know. I will have to look into these bottles and terminator nipples for baby.

    ReplyDelete