Thursday, January 5, 2012

I May Be A Little Obsessed....

Let's play a game.

Look at this picture and tell me what you see.




Did you say a pile of ugly sweaters?

Including one with a really-not-ok rhinestone logo and gaping hole in the sleeve?

Well, you are half right.


Know what I see?


A totally cheap, DIY-version of boot socks!  


Or legwarmers if you didn't live through that fashion craze the first go-round and can stomach calling them that.


I. Cannot.


So, boot socks it is.


Here is the first pair I made and wore out that night for a date with The Hubs.  
I was instantly in love.... With the boot socks, not The Hubs.  I fell for that guy years ago.


And, if while looking at the picture above, you answered my initial question by saying, "Eww.  Now all I see is a bunch of icky crap on your mirror", don't worry.  
It isn't all that visible in real life.  
Plus, I'm getting ready to clean it off... Tomorrow.

But, seriously, back to my bootsocks.  
Which I totally heart.

This is another pair of them.

  
 Still made from a Goodwill sweater.


Here's is the technique:

Go to Goodwill.

Browse their sweater aisle. 

Find colors or patterns you love.

Remind yourself that a pattern that would make you want to 
puke should you wear the actual sweater can still be WAY cute as boot socks.  
This is the tough step.

Do your Happy Dance in line when they tell you the sweaters are half-off for 
their After-Christmas Sale.

Whoot-Whoot!

Take them home, cut the sleeves off just below the armpit, put them on your legs, cuffs up.

And that is it.

Seriously simple.  

And really cheap financially responsible.

Especially since we all know this is a fad that won't last.

Just ask the 80's....


You can be done at this point.  Or, if you are feeling fancy, you can surge the end where you cut them.  My sewing machine and I are not to that point in our relationship yet.  


Or, you can get really wild and use the torso part of the sweater to make multiple pairs and gift them to your friends! Boot socks all around!


And, feel free to add embellishments.  
Buttons appear to be all the rage.  
Bows? Ruffles? 
Who cares? Go for it!


I was more concerned with getting to wear my boot socks, like, IMMEDIATELY.  


So I took the time to do none of the above.  

Here is a close-up. 


And, pretend that you didn't notice that I'm wearing the same sweater with both outfits.  

I kinda live in it.  And I am ok with that.

  This...



.... is what you look like when you are being told "Gimme somethin'!" by the cameraman while attempting to show off your fab boot socks.  And, in your attempt to "give" more than just you standing there, you almost fall over.


Whatever.  The boot socks still look good.


In case you were curious, this picture (found on Pinterest) was my inspiration.  


And by inspiration, I mean it made me realize how badly I needed boot socks.  And that I wasn't willing to pay as much as FORTY FOUR DOLLARS for anything like them.


Uh... yeah.  No way.


So, I came up with my own solution when you are cheap financially responsible, such as I am.  
My pairs were $1.50 each.  Yay for the After-Christmas Sale!


And I'm digging them.  :)


P.S.  I couldn't stop thinking about my sad, neglected mirror... So I took a break mid-post and cleaned it.  I'm sure that will make some of you feel better.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, we still need to hit the thrift shop and maybe goodwill and sal-army in Marion! Tomorrow good for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly. I know Natalie wants to go to those places, too. And, I haven't told her yet, but she is in line to be one of my blog posts! Just because I heart her more than words. :)

    She may be less-than-excited once she sees the pictures I have planned for her. Lol! I just won't tell her in advance.

    So, I'll make room for you, me, my two monsters, Nat, and her two monkeys. We'll pile the other carseats into my car.

    Go ahead, try to contain your enthusiasm. I know you cannot wait to be spending your time with four children under the age of four! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhhmmmmgggeee! You need to be a professional blogger. I might have peed just a little bit reading this....so funny! And just an fyi I have lots of fun pics of you too :) choose wisely lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 - I'll go ONLY if I can drive.
    #2 - I think "Anonymous" is not so anonymous.
    #3 - It took me 4 hours to pack away all the Christmas stuff and get it ready to go back into storage. I'm pooped.
    #4 - It's now 1:00 a.m. and I'm still not in bed. Needless to say, don't wake me tomorrow morning.
    #5 - Aren't I babysitting Friday night? All day and then all night with Tink and Goose? Hmmmm, that might be more than this old lady can take.
    #6 - Just kidding about #5. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I am NOT a Martha Stewart fan, but I think you are becoming the new MIDWESTERN (and, therefore, better) version of Martha Stewart with things that are really more age-appropriate than her (sometimes) not-so-current ideas. But then, I guess we must allow for her stint in a West Virginia federal prison. Tell me about Pinterest. Is it a DIY website? LUV the socks, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE!!!!!!!!!!! Good job! They look fab. I think I see a thrift store visit in my near future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pinterest is a virtual pinboard. You can "pin" anything you like. Recipes, clothing, DIY ideas, whatever. When you click on the pin (typically a picture corresponding with whatever recipes, outfits, crafts or whatever you liked), it will often take you to a website of some sort (be it a retail site, blog, etc.) that tells you how to buy it or replicate it. It is pretty neat. I explained to to my dad as a way to kind of categorize anything you find online in a way where you can get back to it. Neater than trying to set bookmarks for sites since you can make category specific boards. Like, you can title one of your boards "Food" and pin all of the recipes you find online on that board. When you are trying to figure out what to make for dinner, you can go to your board, scan your pins (pictures and a short description), click on one and it will take you to the website with the recipe you want. Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously need to go to Marion tomorrow (Sunday). Want to run the thrift store circuit?

    ReplyDelete