Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Marley's Reminder

I have a friend who is going through some things.

You know, those kind of life "things" that remind you that your time here is not always going to be easy.

The kind of things that can make your heart hurt, 
or test your faith, 
or leave you asking questions like, 
"Why me?!" 
and 
"When will it get better?!"

I can't answer those questions.

I can't answer them for her,
I can't answer them for myself when I deal with "things", 
and I can't answer them for anyone else.

I don't know that I can make a heart hurt less or have any bearing on the strength of someone's faith.

But I can certainly try.

That was what I decided to do last night, really late, as I was thinking of my friend.

I was saying a prayer for her, asking for peace in her heart and mind.

It was mid-prayer that I had a sudden burst of inspiration and knew I needed to make for her what I'd just envisioned in my head.

So, I hopped out of the shower (yes, I was in the shower much past the point I should have been in bed asleep. And, yes, that was where I was saying my prayers.  Whatever...) and ran downstairs.  

I wanted to paint something.

I think it is important for me to note that I have never, and I mean never, painted a picture in my entire life.

I've never had any urge to paint.
Never had any desire.
I didn't even know if I could rummage up the tools with which to paint a picture.

Rather than attempt it last night, I decided it may be better to get down on paper (using sharpies and pencils) what I wanted and come back to it in the morning.

And that was what I did.

I got up this morning, got the boys ready and off to school, and went to yoga.

Through all of that, I kept thinking about my need to paint this thing for my friend.

After yoga, I hustled home and rounded up the stuff I needed.
Or I thought I needed.
Have I mentioned that I've never painted anything before?

Here is what I was working with:

My quick drawing from last night so I wouldn't forget what I wanted.


My rubber stamps.


The boys' paint.


My brushes.


Yes, those are stenciling brushes.
Don't judge.
I told you I don't paint.

I am pretty sure that anyone who can actually refer to themselves an "artist" would die if they saw my painting tools...


Now, before I go any further, let me tell you this:

I painted.
I am not Picasso.
Or Monet.
And I am pretty sure Goose has come home from school with some more intricate stuff than what I managed.

But, I am hoping that it will serve its purpose.

I hope it will lift my friend's heart and let her know that "every little 'ting gonna be all right."


Here is a closer view of the words and my happy little birds.


I told you.
I almost shouldn't even call it a painting.

Regardless of the amount of paint used or whether it can even be considered a respectable piece of art on any level, it makes me happy.

Happy enough that I may make myself one in colors that work for my living room. 
Ahem.

Anyway, I hope it makes her happy, too.

I think it is good for remembering that "this, too, shall pass" and we 
should always take each day for what it is: 

A Blessing.

Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Marley.


4 comments:

  1. You know the saying "friends may come and go, but family is forever"

    I like "friends come and go, but best friends always leave footprints on your heart"

    Nothing like a best friend...xxoo Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, and always will be, a blessing to your family and friends. Your blog reminded me that I should take every day as it comes, and stop worrying about stuff I can't control. Thank YOU for the reminder, Ms. Patty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I already mention I love you, Patty? You make this place a better place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is easy to try and leave a positive, loving influence on the world when you make the choice to surround yourself with amazing, caring, and beautiful people. :)

      Delete